Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Febrary 24. Digital Stories Part 1

What: We learned about Digital Stories and some of the ways they are used in the classroom.

So What:  I didn't really know what a digital story was before this, or what exactly it entailed for the classroom, but after learning about them, I feel that digital stories can really enhance material being taught in the classroom.  It really brings material to life, and can be an exciting intro to a unit, or a good wrap up for a unit.  I think it is an excellent way to bring history, or any topic to life.

Now What:  As a teacher, this is something that I really want to use in my classroom.  Just sitting in our class and seeing the images Doc Waters used to explain what a digital story was really impacted me.  I think that using images and music and voices really brings the subject to life.  It isn't just something that happened a long time ago to someone else, and digital stories can bring that to life.  As a teacher I would use them to introduce a subject, or to drive a point home.  Especially of things in our history that just need to be brought to life, like civil rights, the holocaust, or the revolution.  I would also use this as a form of assessment for students.  I think it would be a fun way to have them show what they know about a topic.  It's something that would get the students excited, and it could also give them something that they create that they could be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment